ALBERT THIRY Originally from Nice, the Thiry family moved to the famous pottery village of Vallauris in 1943. After studying at the Ecole des Arts Décoratifs in Nice, Albert Thiry continued his training as a trainee in various pottery workshops, notably with Charles VOLTZ (1923-1997). In Vallauris in 1956, he worked as a decorator for Claire and René Batigne, who ran the Tapis Vert workshop, and rubbed shoulders with Marcel Vertès (1895-1961) and Anton Prinner (1902-1983), who introduced him to sculpture. He married Pyot Gavaudan (1933-), who worked for Marcel Giraud (1897-1985) as a decorator and designer. Together, in 1961, they set up their own studio and perfected a technique of intaglio engraving and decoration in chamotte clay for utilitarian pieces and dreamlike characters inspired by mythology and fanciful animals. From 1966 to 1974, Albert Thiry took part in the Vallauris biennials, and was awarded the Diplôme d’Honneur in 1971.